Friday, February 14, 2014

Gordon says he'll retire if he wins Sprint Cup

Jeff Gordon said Thursday afternoon that he'll retire at the end of the season if he can finally capture his elusive fifth title this year. Gordon won his titles in 1995, '97, '98 and 2001 when Winston was the series sponsor, but in recent years has been unable to top teammate Jimmie Johnson, who won six titles between 2005 and 2013. "I go home and I look in my trophy room and I see four trophies that are championship trophies, but they say 'Winston Cup' on them," Gordon said at Thursday's NASCAR Media Day at Daytona International Speedway. "You can name me a four-time Sprint Cup (champion) for technical reasons all you want, but to me, I'm not. And I want that before my career is over." And if Gordon can do win a title this year, he'll call it quits. "If that happened, that would be all the reasons I need to say, 'This is it, I'm done,'" Gordon said. "Go out on a high note."(FoxSports)

No comments:

Post a Comment